Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Flower Pot Christmas Crafts


One Artsy Mama




Amy over at One Artsy Momma inspired me to pull out the craft stuff (once I found the box it was still packed in) and get some flower pots to make some crafts with the kids.  Cooper especially loves painting so this was a perfect craft for him.  Some parts of these crafts are not kid friendly and have to be done by adults because it involves a glue gun or pretty detailed painting but overall he was able to stay right there with me to do it.   Of course, we spread the work out over a few days.    Disclaimer---  Do not look at my messy counters with stacks of picture frames, etc. still waiting to find a home in our new house.

The button above "Shine on Fridays" is a linky party that Amy and her friend, Kara, are co-hosting.  Go check it out....but be warned....you will want to run out to your local craft store to make at least  dozen of the cute projects you'll find!!

Our "angels"---  I just hot glued two pots together.

"Santa"...or if Cooper had his was "Optimus Prime".

The Christmas Tree

"Rudolph" 

Our Three Soliders

Our first night of painting....we did the base coats on all of the pots.   I let Cooper do the first coat on all of them and then filled in any open areas with him.  He was good at finding the spots that needed a little love and would tell me "Oops momma, I need more here please!"

One of the rare moments that Cooper was painting without the help of his tongue.    Cute little guy gives that tongue a work out when he is concentrating.  Maybe that's because he was singing "Away In a Manger" while he was painting and telling me how much he loves Christmastime.

With the exception of the black on the soldiers and Santa Cooper helped with all of these!  We used regular ole acrylic paints.

I had found some brown foam Gingerbread men in the dollar bins at Target and picked them out to do a quick craft with Cooper.....luckily it worked out that I used one to cut out the antlers and ears for Rudolph and we stuck a red (of course) fuzzy ball on his nose.  

Cooper and Kyler used their fingers dipped in paint to decorate the Christmas tree, to make the eyes on all the other pieces, and for the buttons on the soldiers.  


More gems from the dollar bin....cute spools of ribbon made for a nice little tree topper.


Again.....the pipe cleaners came from the dollar bin at Target.  I was having trouble thinking of what to do to make Santa's hat....and I thought this was a cute twist.  I'm thinking Santa needs arms....What do you think?


I did the stripes down the pant legs and their little soldier faces and of course used the glue gun to attach the red balls to their hats.

Some gold ribbon I found in the clearance aisle worked out great for some wings which I just twisted into bows and then hot glued on their backs.  Thank goodness for wired ribbon.   I did their faces, hair, and halos but Cooper was able to do their cheeks.     These are presents for Cooper's preschool teachers.  I asked him which ones he wanted to give his teachers and he picked out the angels.  

A shot of the back of the angel.

2 comments:

  1. These are fanTAStic, Ang! I love all of them...having trouble choosing a fave, but if I had to, I think it would be Rudolph. :) I love how many things you can do with those pots, especially since they're so cheap! Wait till you see the little snowman candy holders we made with them too!

    Why don't you link them up to my party?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/shine-on-fridays-4-and-some-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look fabulous!! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Friday. We hope you'll join us again today!

    ReplyDelete