Monday, January 5, 2009

Four Month Check-Up




Coop had his 4 month check-up today...he is 19 weeks and one day old.  Matt and I were both at the appointment to hear the doctor tell us that he is "off the charts".  We already knew he was one of a kind and all kinds of special, but he is literally off of the growth charts for his age.  He weighs in at 19 lbs. and 14.8 oz. and is 27 1/4" long.  We're also excited to know that his brain/head is growing at the same rate as his body is and is also off the charts.  Everyone was excited about Cooper's growth and very impressed with his development so far.  His strength and development is as good as many six month olds or even better in some areas.  Another exciting note is that we got the okay to start trying some rice cereal.  If we put in in a bottle with breast milk he likes it more, but we did it in a bottle and in a bowl with a spoon.  He gets too frustrated to just do the bowl/spoon alone right now because he isn't controlling how much and how fast he gets it.  Here are some pictures of Cooper's first "meal".  In a few weeks we are going to try introducing veggies/fruits one at a time.  So, this weekend we are on quest to find a good cook book for Cooper.  I really want to give the home-made baby food a good try---just seems like it would be so much better for him and I can only imagine that it's more economical.  Anyhow, we are super happy about Cooper's growth and it's always nice to get reassurance from a professional that we're doing the right things with him.  His first few vaccinations have gone well, but I am spreading them out more so I think that helps him.  We go back next week for the rest of his four month shots.  He's not cranky, there aren't any weird reactions, etc.  (Knock on Wood).  

3 comments:

  1. Angie - we got the cookbook deceptively delicious by jessica seinfeld (jerry's wife) and it shows how to puree many fruits and veggies to make baby food. It is definitely way cheaper (59 cents a little jar or a whole bag of frozen peas for a dollar that makes over 20 jars?). I have made it and I think it's pretty easy. Of course, I am not working so I suppose you have less time. I am glad he is growing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, glad to hear it's growing and doing so well! Way to go with the solids! Good luck with the fruits and veggies, hopefully he'll like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Cooper is growing so big and strong! I thought Noah was huge, but Coop has him beat! :) Good luck with the homemade baby food...let me know if it works out for you; I'd be interested in trying that too since the little packs are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete